mardi 11 novembre 2014

Making tank maintenance easier

So after almost 3yrs it's pretty safe to say I have a well established thriving reef tank. Trips to the store for "necessary" items that were overlooked in the prebuild are over and now it's down to livestock and basic upkeep. While there are still some minor annoyances (bubble algae....ugh) I like to think I can handle most of what my tank throws at me.



My next phase as of late as been making maintenance as quick and easy as possible. This past weekend I have made filling my tank with water as easy as can be. The wall behind my tank is the wall of my laundry room. This is where I have my RO/DI unit hooked up and my mixing tank. I keep a supply of fresh top off water in here between water changes and use it to mix salt water when it's time for a water change. The tank has a heater and single powerhead for mixing.



Past practice was to siphon the water out of the tank, into buckets, carry the buckets into the living room, and dump them into the tank. This weekend I added a small submersible pump and plumbed some 1/2" PVC through the wall and into the display tank. Transferring water is as simple as plugging in a light switch. I even added a ruler to the outside of the mixing tank to calculate exactly how much water I am adding. My next step is to make a control box and have the powerhead, heater, and transfer pump all on switches to make it even easier. After that I think the next step is completely eliminating the chance of overflowing the mixing tank.



So what are some other ideas you guys have put into your tanks to make water changes, maintenance, etc. easier? I'm always up for new innovations....




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire