dimanche 16 novembre 2014

Proper filter setup for new tank.

Sorry if this have already been answered, but I have a question about setting up a canister filter.



I have a 36g SeaClear bowfront tank with about 45 lbs of live rock and about 2 inches of LS, with fine sand as the bottom layer and course for the top layer.

Being a fairly new tank, (2 mo old) it's still in the cycling process and has just completed the brown algae phase. It has 2 clowns, 3 damsels, 1 Fire goby, and one dottyback. I also have a skunk cleaner a peppermint shrimp, and a blue leg crab. I added a cleaner pack to help with the algae bloom.



I am using a eshoppes PSK-75H skimmer, and a 3 stage canister filter with UV. I have done a lot of reading, and from what I understand, bio media is really only needed for a FO tank, and live rock should do the rest. Question is, should I remove the bio media now, or keep it in for a while longer until the rock has cured properly? Should I keep the chemical media in, and change it often, or just remove it too?



I know some say they don't use the filter all the time and only turn it on sometimes to do mechanical filtering. If that is the case, then 3 stages of mechanical filtering would be best. Since bio filtering has the drawback of releasing nitrates, naturally I want to get them as low as possible, but also want to make sure there is sufficient bio filtering at the same time.



I appreciate the advice of the reef pros as to what the best course of action would be for the canister setup and best course of action. Thanks!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire