dimanche 16 novembre 2014

My 50 glass is now a 55 plexi, advice please?

I pulled the canopy off my glass 50 yesterday to find that the center plastic frame was splitting and when I eyeballed the front glass from the side I could see it bulging out in the center. :freak:

My first thoughts were to check craigslist and :rimshot: there happened to be a guy selling a 55 "true vue" plexi in my town in the same rough dimensions as my 50. $55 and a 15 minute drive, I came home with my new 55 plexi.

The move over was pretty ugly, nearly all my fish appeared to shed their slime coat, I dosed very lightly with prime (1/8 a cap) when I noticed this and again after the new tank was setup (1/4 cap this time into ~50 gallons).

I siphoned out nearly all my existing tank water then scooped out the sand/gravel into a different container. One of my kids kept referring to the smell as "low tide", but scooping out all that mud made me realize the massive advantage of a bare bottom tank.



Fish

My current fish:

2 Percula Clowns

1 Yellow tang

2 Mandarin dragonets

1 Yellow tail damsel

3 Bangaii cardinals



The tang, mandarins and cardinals all lost some or all of their slime coat. I'm not a big believe of magic in a bottle, but is there anything that EVERYONE agrees helps a fish to recover from a traumatic event like this?



Tank

This is my first plexi tank. I know how to google, but sometimes the questions you don't ask are the most important ones. Please throw me any plexi advice you wish someone had told you.



substrate

I'm currently bare bottom because there's no way I was going to put all that mud back into my system. Can my mandarins survive without the life that a sand bed sustains? They do eat blackworms nearly everyday... though none of my fish ate last night and I can't really blame them, after the trauma I put them through. If I had the time, I would love to been able to cut some cutting board and silicone it down to the bottom so I could have my rock on a higher plateau and still be able to add sand into the lower area. This is what I'm planning for my 100 gallon tank, but that project has taken a back seat for a few months now.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire