mardi 4 novembre 2014

Let loose the nitrates of war...

So I started my tank with the intention of a FOWLR. The tank is 75 days old and stocked with a Royal Gramma, two Ocellaris Clowns, a Kole Tang, two hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a sexy shrimp, one palyzoa frag, and four zoa frags.



I do weekly water changes of 10% and use a turkey baster to clean off rocks and suck up detritus from my sump and bare bottom. I've got 90 lbs of rock that are on a lift, feed every other day. Feeding is done with a 1/4 cube of mysis and a few slivers of brine fed with a turkey baster. I then put a 1/4 of an algae circle on the bottom for the Kole and a small pinch of 0.5mm NLS pellets.



I've got my flow setup so all detritus ends up in the sump or in one dead zone in the corner of the tank not under the rock lift. After this week's water change, I am showing 40ppm on Nitrates with my API kit. I've never seen over 40 and usually see around 20. This week I wasn't able to retrieve my cleaner shrimp's molt and it went somewhere!



I want to eventually start doing LPS and SPS after upgrading my lights. My question is what am I missing here to get my nitrates down?? I understand feeding and husbandry are vital here but I feel I'm doing a good job and am getting the pattern down. I also clean my protein skimmer each week.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire