dimanche 16 novembre 2014

First time reefer

I've kept freshwater tanks for a long time now, and in recent years they have started multiplying like crazy (up to 7 running tanks). Lately I've been itching to expand into saltwater, and now I find myself with an empty 40g breeder. I've got so many fish only tanks on the FW side that FOWLR doesn't really appeal to me, so I think I'm going to dive in and start off with a reef tank.



I understand that saltwater setups, reef in particular, can be a black hole of gear and money. I'm hoping to ease into things, and to start off will only be keeping soft corals and LPS with minimal lighting requirements, and 2-3 fish. I've got an old t5 ho 2 bulb fixture I think will work well enough for lighting. I will be drilling the tank in the next week or two, and am planning a 20g long sump/refugium. I won't be running a skimmer right off the bat, and am using that money towards an RO/DI unit instead.



I'm definitely still in the planning stages, so any advice or suggestions are welcome. Ideally I'd like to get everything setup and started cycling by mid-Decemberish.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire