mercredi 27 août 2014

46g New Tank Build - Germywa

My best friend runs her own aquarium maintenance service and one of her clients moved and couldn't keep his tank so I got the contents. (2 clowns, some mushrooms, Zoas, and some live sand and live rock.



I converted my FW 46g to salt, gave away the fish, shrimp, and plants. I scrubbed out the canister filter and replaced the pads. I cleaned the tank till it was pristine.



I premixed my SW, added an old unopened bag of not-so-live sand. She placed the rocks after I'd done this without being able to see since the tank was a milky white. The rocks were dry base rock she had stored in her garage which we rinsed first. They had previously been washed and dried in the sun before storage. We then added the sand from the previous tank after rinsing it in NSW. The tank is starting to clear up.



Pic: (can't post pics yet, but will edit this once I reach 5 posts)



After reading through 59 pages of the Reefkeeping made easy thread, I'm starting to think I've made a huge mistake. I don't know much about saltwater but I had supplies left in my garage (aka fish closet) from when I wanted to start one years ago. So really, I don't know what I'm doing and up to this point I've relied on my friend. She is old school, her family business is my LFS and I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing things the hard way.



I have no problem with water changes and vacuuming the sand but the sand from the old tank, even after rinsing was dirty. Now I'm thinking I should remove the rock, figure out some way to raise the rock so I can get water movement underneath the base of the structure and vacuum the buhjeezus out of the sand so I don't continue down a very wrong and very dirty path.



This tank won't have a sump or overflow but I'm wondering if I should ditch the canister filter and get flow from pumps and a skimmer instead.



P.S. she is also having me dose the tank with bacteria from a bottle. I've never used that stuff on FW, I just seeded new tanks from old ones.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire