lundi 9 juin 2014

a lesson learned

I thought I would post this as a lesson learned about always checking live rock and rubble.

About a year ago I purchased one pound of cured live rock rubble from a LFS. As it was cured already I simply dumped it all into the back of my 30 gallon bowfront to use later for fragging corals. Within the next couple weeks my tank took a turn for the worse. Small brown threads with bubbles began to come up from every coral I had except my Duncan's. As this was my first tank i simply tried to manage best i could. Soon my finger leather and favia were dead some mushrooms followed soon after that. I got a good RO/DI unit and began a series of large water changes after discussing the problem with a more experienced reefer. Diagnosis was a bad case of Dino. During the coral die off I noticed one small "live rock" branch from the rubble was beginning to break down in the tank. I removed it for inspection and promptly discovered it was what appeared to be a chicken drumstick bone. The Dino went away thanks to lots of water changes and my coral beauty seeming to like eating the stuff. Anyways ALWAYS!!! Closely inspect your live rock no matter where it comes from.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire