dimanche 29 juin 2014

Newbie - Green Algae issue

First reef tank - 30 gallons

Hey guys!



I have an algae issue and I'd like your advice, but let me first tell you about my tank. (Question/pictures at the bottom)



I had a friend that kinda walked me through the setup and got me started with live sand and live rock, along with some RO/DI water that he makes with a machine of some sort at his house. Here are the specs (as best as I know how to give them). If there is irrelevant information, please bare with me!


  • 30Gallons

  • 25 pounds of live rock

  • 8 pounds of base rock

  • 40 pounds of live sand

  • A 10 gallon sump tank

  • Hang on the back overflow (eshopps 300, I think)

  • Rio10 Hyperflow pump

  • 240gph powerhead - Hydor Koralia

  • 24" Current Orbit Marine LED - 23W

  • About 9 snails

  • 5 hermit crabs

  • 2 emeralds crabs

  • 1 cleaner shrimp

  • 1 clownfish -happy, active, well-adjusted, eats well

  • 1 6 line wrasse - super active, eats very well, well-adjusted

  • Some pods that my boss gave me when he had ordered too many. I roughly put like 300 in my tank, but I rarely see them.

  • Water changes of 5 gallon/once a week

  • Feed fish every other day

  • My tank cycled quickly, thanks to my friend giving me a head start and my nitrite, ammonia, and salinity levels are all immaculate. My nitrates are very low, right around 5, I think. On my color chart, when I do the test, it is very nearly perfectly yellow.




So I've been having a problem with green algae recently. It seems pretty bad and I'd like to get rid of it. Maybe, I'm overreacting. What're your thoughts? I also have these weird little tubular things growing. Check it out and please give me your input! Ahead of time, I'd like to say thank you very much and I am OBSESSED with this new hobby!



PS The forum isn't showing the pictures I try to post. I also have a little frogspawn coral that is doing well and a Green Star Polyp that hasn't been coming out for a couple weeks. What's up with that?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire