dimanche 29 juin 2014

First reef tank - 30 gallons

Hey guys!



I have an algae issue and I'd like your advice, but let me first tell you about my tank. (Question/pictures at the bottom)



I had a friend that kinda walked me through the setup and got me started with live sand and live rock, along with some RO/DI water that he makes with a machine of some sort at his house. Here are the specs (as best as I know how to give them). If there is irrelevant information, please bare with me!


  • 30Gallons

  • 25 pounds of live rock

  • 8 pounds of base rock

  • 40 pounds of live sand

  • A 10 gallon sump tank

  • Hang on the back overflow (eshopps 300, I think)

  • Rio10 Hyperflow pump

  • 240gph powerhead - Hydor Koralia

  • 24" Current Orbit Marine LED - 23W

  • About 9 snails

  • 5 hermit crabs

  • 2 emeralds crabs

  • 1 cleaner shrimp

  • 1 clownfish -happy, active, well-adjusted, eats well

  • 1 6 line wrasse - super active, eats very well, well-adjusted

  • Some pods that my boss gave me when he had ordered too many. I roughly put like 300 in my tank, but I rarely see them.

  • Water changes of 5 gallon/once a week

  • Feed fish every other day

  • My tank cycled quickly, thanks to my friend giving me a head start and my nitrite, ammonia, and salinity levels are all immaculate. My nitrates are very low, right around 5, I think. On my color chart, when I do the test, it is very nearly perfectly yellow.


So I've been having a problem with green algae recently. I have put pictures below. It seems pretty bad and I'd like to get rid of it. Maybe, I'm overreacting. What're your thoughts? I also have these weird little tubular things growing. More pictures below. Check it out and please give me your input! Ahead of time, I'd like to say thank you very much and I am OBSESSED with this new hobby!









Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire