vendredi 14 novembre 2014

LED Project based upon scientific paper

After seeing that I'll need to spend 500-800 dollars for an LED fixture I've decided that while my tank is cycling I'll just make my own.



I see the project having three main challenges:


  1. Electronics: providing the proper voltage and current to the LEDs in order to safely emit photons.

  2. Mechanics: Constructing a fixture that provides adequate support and heat dissipation for the electronics that also doesnt look shitty.

  3. Optics: Choosing the appropriate LED's and optical devices to provide continuous light coverage of the appropriate wavelength at the appropriate depth with the appropriate intensity.




Now I do not foresee any difficulty with the electronics, as I had an undergraduate education in electrical engineering and have designed several LED projects in the past.



As for the the mechanical aspect I have a friend that does metalworking so I'm hoping I can ask him to lend a hand for that (if not looks like I'll have to buy some more tools :])



Finally the optics... As I'm a total noob aquarist (setting up my first tank this winter) I'm starting from scratch on this. In doing my due diligance I found this article: http://ift.tt/1ip90sa



I read it and its preceding article last night and was quite impressed with the level of detail and the science supporting their arguments.



Has anyone built a DIY LED fixture based upon the results of the article linked above? If so I'd be interested in your results with the light and in any challenges you had while sourcing the LEDs.



Regards,



Trevor




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire