vendredi 7 novembre 2014

glass drilling (or redrilling)

So I've been trying to find bulkheads for my 240 gal and I'm not having very good luck. The holes already drilled in the tank are 2" and 2.75", I have a 1" (schedule 40?) bulkhead which seems a little too small for the 2" hole as it leaves probably a 1/4" gap, so I'm a little worried it won't seal very well, and on the 2.75" hole I bought a 2" schedule 40 bulkhead but the threads are too big, I think it needs like a 2.88" hole for it to fit... or drop down to 1.5" bulkhead which would only need a 2.38" hole (leaving a 3/8" gap).



Someone pointed me towards schedule 80 fittings, which then have a 1" bulkhead requiring a 1.88" hole (which I'm more comfortable putting in a 2" hole), and a 1.5" bulkhead going in a 2.51" hole (which still seems to be a problem since its almost 1/4" gap) or a 2" bulkhead fitting in a 3.18" hole (too big!).



I was told I could redrill the tank for the bigger hole, but I'm afraid to try and drill this tank because its now on the stand, and there is no way we can move it someplace I could drill it, without just drilling it on the stand in which case I'd have to crawl under the stand and drill it overhead (thinking glass shavings all over, not even safety glasses are going to help).



Has anyone attempted to use a dremel type of tool with a diamond bit in it to enlarge a predrilled hole in glass? I actually think that might be easier than using a hole saw to redrill it, but I'm afraid of cracking the glass no matter what I do...



My other option is to try and build my own bulkheads if I can find fittings the right size - found this website that talks about making your own bulkhead fittings since they are so expensive to buy something that should be incredibly cheap... http://ift.tt/10zJVFm



What do you all think?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire