dimanche 29 mars 2015

Going bare- entire process and analysis of removing one's sand bed

After talking to Geoff, I finally decided to go bare-bottom (BB) in my 28 Gallon Nanocube. The purpose of this thread is to illustrate my process as well as document potential difficulties for other reefers who desire to lose their sand bed. This will also be good practice for my upcoming 650 gallon Starphire Reef, which will be bare bottom.



At the same time, I will be attempting to redo my aquascaping, as this was my first reef and it looks very artificial and lacks good spots for coral placement. Please recommend rock types and placement!



Aim:

To gain more control over my aquarium by removing the sand bed



Hypothesis:

By going bare bottom, I will be able to reduce algae growth, facilitate easier cleaning, have a more modern look, and to have more control over the nutrient levels in my reef aquarium.



Possible challenges include:

  • Difficulties controlling nutrient levels during the process of sand removal

  • No quarantine tank available during the process (Besides a 3g pico :( )

  • My sump only gets 200 GPH through it

  • I still have not decided on a skimmer




Tentative Procedure:


  1. Remove all livestock (Corals) into the temporary rubbermaid container with powerhead, heater, fan, and AI Nano

  2. Remove all live rock for a three day "Cooking" in a dark trash can, with the new rock that will be purchased for additional aquascaping.

  3. Supplement water level, and install skimmer in the sump (and begin skimming).

  4. Vacuum out sand using 1/2 inch tubing

  5. Do an intense cleanup of the Display Tank, but leave the rear filtration and sump alone (To allow biological filtration).

  6. Figure out nice aquascaping for the tank, which will most likely involve 20lbs of Dry Pukani (BRS) as well as my current live rock

  7. After testing levels and assuring that no PO4 is leached by dry rock, put cleaner crew and four Green Chromis into the tank to get everything going and insure stability

  8. Put corals back into the tank, considering lighting as well as future growth




What do you think? I will hopefully order the dry rock today and get started some time next week. I am also considering converting from my Ocean Revive lighting to a Radion XR30W Pro with the high-spread optics, but do not wish to include another variable into this procedure.



I hope Geoff will be my guardian angel, watching over and making sure I don't screw anything up! :thumbup:



Along with Geoffs help, I will also be referring to the post "How to go Barebottom", which can be found on this site on the link

http://ift.tt/1GE2fyS




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire