mercredi 25 mars 2015

GFCI tripping problem found

Last night at 10:00pm my GFCI tripped. I could not see anything obvious so I reset it. At 3:00am my GFCI tripped again. The power backup kicked in so all was fine in the morning, except for the mysterious trip. After some investigation I found the current leak. It was one of my Hydor Koralia 1150's. There was a slight crack in the top of it. I do not recall dropping it so not sure what caused it. Here is a picture:





To verify that this was actually causing a current leak, I placed the unit in salt water and measured the resistance between the water and one of the plug leads. It should have measured infinite resistance. This test showed that there was indeed a current leak into the tank. I verified that my other Hydor measured infinite resistance. Good job GFCI! I was close to replacing the GFCI thinking that it must have been faulty. Hopefully this will help someone else that may be struggling to find what is causing a GFCI to trip.





John




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire