jeudi 22 mai 2014

Serious 'live rock'

Hi all. I have a 45gal. tall reef tank set up, 'softies' only. I keep (3) green chromises and (1) firefish goby and a fair size cleaner crew of nerites, nassarius, Fla. ceriths, and dwarf cerith snails around to keep the corals from being lonely.

I added some new button polyps last Saturday, a medium sized rock with 30-40 polyps on it, wedged nicely into my live rock. Sunday morning it wasn't where I had put it, it was on the bottom of the tank. O.k., guess I didn't 'wedge it' good enough? Made it nice and secure, polyps were all out in full bloom all nice and happy all day, no signs of distress from the fall last night, beautifully glowing green centers under the evening blue lighting, lights out.

Monday morning same thing, sitting on the bottom? Of course by now I figured some thing in my tank was doing this. But none of my snails looked big enough, and none of my fish seemed to pay it any attention, but it had to be one of those guys? Right?

Tuesday, and Wednesday same thing? Well I'll figure it out eventualy. Went to my LFS last night to see what they got in and in passing I mentioned to the guy I bought this rock from 'how something in my tank is taking a liking to it and playing with it every night'.....well with his response we both new there was something up. When I bought the piece it was by it's self in the corner away from the other corals. He commented that if the boss really doesn't like a piece he keeps moving it around hoping to get some ones attention.....well evidently it wasn't the boss!

So we decided it must be something living inside of the rock that comes out only at night and is capable of moving this hunk of rock with button polyps on it.

I kept my eyes on it till bed time last night, and sure enough this morning it's on the bottom again......

Well after that lengthy narrative, has anybody had anything like this happen in their tanks, 'live rock that is'? I now refer to this piece as 'the ghost rock'.

Thanks for any clues,

Dave



PS

It's going to stay on the bottom today.....

:confused:




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire