dimanche 30 octobre 2016

Decorator crab dead or molted??

So a few days ago I had a fish pass in my tank. I can only assume my decorator crab ate the remains, because he had a small piece of fish attached to himself. Yesterday I noticed my decorator crab was out with the lights on (very unusual for him). He wasn't moving very much, even when poked. When I picked him up he moved a little but just hung out in my hand. I sat him on my polyps (where he loved to sit at night) and let him be. This morning he was barely moving at all. Found him on his back a few times and flipped him back over. The last time I checked on him though, he was on his back, and no longer moving. Mouth not moving, eyes not moving, nothing. I flipped him over and sat him on my coral, just in case. He appears to have what looks like a black string coming out from his shell on his underside. I've read that he may have molted, but he hasn't taken any of his "decorations" off the "shell" and it still has its eyes and no splits or cracks in the shell where he could get out. Has my little guy passed away? I'm going to be devastated if he's gone... I loved watching him ride my coralline snails around the tank and sneaking up to steal the algae growing on their shells to stick to himself. I'm also gonna miss the fact that he took some polyps and stuck them on the stop of his head to make it look like he's wearing a party hat. I should also note that he got a white cone shaped thing that popped up on his head, with a pinhole in the middle. I've never seen anything come out of that. I'll try to post a picture as he is now when I get home, but I'll post a picture of him from his better days.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: IMG_3532_1477864695439.jpg Views: N/A Size: 66.4 KB ID: 140497   Click image for larger version Name: IMG_3366_1477864723994.jpg Views: N/A Size: 45.0 KB ID: 140505  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire