mercredi 26 octobre 2016

It's been 10 years!

Hi Everyone,

It's been 10 years since we had a reef tank. We lived in Dallas, TX at the time and moved back to the Chicago area in 2006. Since then we've moved to Columbus, OH, back to Chicago and now to Cape Coral, FL (yes, my job moved me frequently). We're done moving and we wanted to get back into having a reef tank. After 10 years, I probably have to re-learn what I knew, and learn all that's new. That's what I was hoping to get here.

We are in the early stages. I have a 56g tank that I bought on Craigslist, but haven't set it up yet. Needs pretty much everything including a refugium and drilled. I also just bought a complete drilled 80g tank with a 55g refugium, all of the equipment and about 100lbs of live rock on Craigslist ($100 for all of it!). I'm thinking of using this setup instead of the 56g but not sure what works and what doesn't yet. The tank was up and running, but had a lot of algae and very dirty. It also had a lot of coralline algae, which is good, but so much you could barely see in the tank. They had 3 fish that looked healthy and they took them back to a store as I wasn't ready to try to take them and keep them alive. I'd rather make sure the tank is able to be used before putting fish in. If the tank is salvageable, I will use the 80g with the 55g refugium instead of the 56g as that will be easier to keep. It came with all of the pumps, protein skimmer, etc. But I'm just not sure it is all working right. I really just bought it for the live rock as 100lbs of LR would have cost about $400 at the store. Bonus!

Anyhow, I have the LR sitting in the 56g tank with a pump for circulation. Also, they had 3 cucumbers in there. Hopefully they will live OK in the LR until I get the tank set up. May take a few weeks. I will need lights, a new cabinet, etc.

Sorry for the long introduction, but we are excited to get going, and yet I don't want to move too fast. I want to do it right.

Thanks.

Greg


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire