mercredi 21 septembre 2016

Novice filtration problems 220g

I have a 220g tank, gifted from my brother in law. Everything Im using so far is hand downs and is my first attempt at pulling a filtration system together with what Ive been given, and I am a novice at this. I know I could spend a ton on new stuff but Im trying to work with what I have as much as possible.

My current problem is I cant balance the water going into the sump with the water returning to the tank. The return is draining from the sump faster than its coming in.

At this point I have a 55g rubbermaid bin sump, inside of this is a separate 20g rubbermaid that houses the refugium. The 2 intakes from the tank are gravity run, wide open and flowing through 1 inch pipe. The intake on one side flows into the 20g refugium which pours into the main 55g sump where the return pump is. The other intake flows directly into the main 55g sump. In the 55 is a 350gph pump which pulls water into the skimmer and dumps it back into the main sump. The return pump is a 1320gph pump running to the 2 returns through 3/4inch pipe. (Hard to visualize this,see pics, i know its an unusual set up). The problem is the return pump drains too fast. There is a ball valve so that I can slow the return and return some of it too the sump, but it still doesnt seem sensitive enough to achieve balance for any safe length of time.

Do i just need a slower return pump? How will I know what is powerful enough? How can I balance this without knowing how fast the flow in is etc? Argh. Thank you for any info/redesign ideas!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 20160921_132652.jpg Views: N/A Size: 83.9 KB ID: 137761   Click image for larger version Name: 20160921_132726.jpg Views: N/A Size: 76.4 KB ID: 137769   Click image for larger version Name: 20160921_132712.jpg Views: N/A Size: 81.3 KB ID: 137777  



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire