jeudi 22 septembre 2016

Bacteria growth on rock

I have a 125G display with 120-150lbs of live rock. I have 11 fish in the tank and only one or two corals. How much live rock can I take out to cook and replace with dry live rock once it's been cooked/cured?

My rocks are bound of phosphate and I am cooking 1/3 of my rocks at a time (50lbs). This process is going to take some time to accomplish.

I am picking up another 130lbs of dry rock today. I was thinking it might be easier to cook the dry rock for 1 month. Replace 75% of the rock and then cook more of my live rock at one time. What I don't want to do is cause an ammonia spike in the tank from removing a lot of rock at once. I don't have much sand at all. My tank is 3/4 bare bottom. How do I do this safely and keep my fish ok? I am not setting up a separate tank for my fish. I want to do this inside the display. While trying to keep fish happy and healthy. What is the maximum amount of live rock I can replace at one time? 75%? 90%? My sump, glass, overflows, should have enough bacteria to support the main display during this transition time correct?

I am also going to take this time to mortar rocks together for a new more functional rock structure. I want to make sure whatever I put in the tank has time to release high ph. Thoughts, opinions, anything is welcome!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire