mercredi 21 septembre 2016

Creating a pistol shrimp enclosure

I have a nano tank with a Randalli pistol shrimp. I hear him snap from time to time but I have not actually set eyes on him in weeks. He lives under my biggest rock and has multiple entrances to his burrow.

What I'm considering is using some acrylic sheet to make an enclosure against the corner glass of the tank. Basically section off a bit of the tank with acrylic walls leaving the top open, a few inches above the sand. I'd find a nice rock to place there that looks good, but the room limitation would (i hope) cause the shrimp's burrow to be visible through the tank glass. I'd spot feed him every time I feed the tank by pipette. Just drop the food down the open top of the acrylic section.

I am sure I would have to net him and manually place him in this little enclosure. My questions are, would he swim high enough to get out the open top, and more importantly, would this plan cause him undue distress or be unhealthy in any way?

He doesn't seem to enjoy having open space, he likes small enclosed spaces. My only worry is having his burrow exposed against the side of the glass where it's visible. I'm thinking from inside he may not even be able to see out and he'll think the glass is just a really smooth rock?

Opinions welcome, for or against. Thanks in advance.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire