mercredi 21 mai 2014

Dosing with Kalkwasser

I've been reading a lot recently on dosing with kalkwasser (limewater - didn't know that's what it was till recently, haha), and I'm thinking that it could be a good solution for my tank and its minor Ph problems (consistently about 8.0 and can't raise it for my life), in addition to maintaining my alk and ca levels.



That said - I'm very new to the idea and I'm an artist, not a chemist. I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out or verify that the math I've done is good so I can have a little reassurance before I start testing my poorly formed theories!



Here's what I (think I) understand so far:

- pickling lime/kalk from a grocery store should work?

- needs to be dissolved in ro water prior to dosing

- it has a very base Ph (12+) and is very potent, so would need to be dosed in small amounts to avoid a massive Ph swing

- it adds ca and alk simultaneously? How much?

- it lowers magnesium over time

- it lowers phosphates? I assume this is good? Could it be bad?





Some quick details:

I have a 36g tank with a roughly 14g sump.

My Ph sits right around 8.0 almost always.

I have been recently dosing 5ml of calcium (currently about 420) and alk (currently about 7.6 - slowly trying to raise this) supplement daily.




Here's my plan:

- mix 3 teaspoons of kalk per gallon of ro - based on this article I read: http://ift.tt/1jt9LBo

- max dose per day: 1ml of limewater for a 36g tank? to minimize the rise in Ph to a max of about +0.2 units

- I don't have a drip or auto top off method set up for my tank, so I would be dosing all at once, not gradually



Questions:

- Have a grossly misunderstood something?

- Will dosing 1ml per day be enough to match my ca and alk needs?

- I read that adding vinegar to the limewater can possibly help minimize the effect of limewater on Ph, could I use this method to be able to add more limewater if 1ml daily doesn't keep my ca and alk where I want it?



Thanks for any input!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire