vendredi 28 mars 2014

Turns out my SG has been around.......1.040!!!!

When I originally set up my tank, I took a water sample to my LFS to check out how the parameters were doing. I was told my salinity was a little low, so I've been topping off my tank with saltwater.



HOWEVER, apparently the device I'm using isn't working correctly. It's been reading around 1.020, so of course I've just been adding more and more saltwater to compensate.



http://ift.tt/1o7FGLx



When I purchased it, I didn't realize it was measured in Brix, which I guess many home-brewers use to determine when their beer/grapes are ready to harvest. I had to convert it, and I did so using both an app and a table I found online (http://ift.tt/O4X0A7). This leads me to believe that the refractometer was just busted all along, because it was still reading 0 on the scale when I calibrated it with fresh water.



All my fish have been doing well, so I'm glad I caught my error in time. I realize I got very lucky, although I've lost a few frags of coral. All my tests were coming back good.



Moral of the story: always double check your equipment's readings.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire