vendredi 28 mars 2014

Greetings from the new guy

Hi there y'all. Name's LabBoy and I just got bit be the reef bug. I'm a total salt newbie, though I have kept fw tanks for a couple decades. In filling out the profile I picked novice, though I am in fact a marine scientist. Heh. Maybe some day I'll be able to keep the deep water corals I actually study, but for now, I'll keep it simple.



Luckily I read the reefkeeping made easy thread after I set up the tank, but before I added any livestock, so I managed to avoid wasting money and killing things.



So, the tank. I have a tiny little ecopico 5 g desktop tank. I added 2 of their blue strip LEDs and changed to a carbon sponge in the filter thing. It's got about 1" of black live sand, and one large (compared to the tank) lr. About 4-5 lbs, I guess. It has been up and running for about 4 months. For most of that time its sole occupant was an emerald crab, added after the first month. Now that the uglies seem to be over, I have added several new pretties, adding a few at a time, then waiting a few weeks. Current stock: emerald crab, snail, several blue leg hermits, 1 zoo colony (orange), 1 paly colony, 1 small acan (2 polyps originally, 6 now), a Xenia, a ricordea florida, and a branching hammer (as separated as is possible in a tiny tank). It gets weekly 1 gal water changes with reef chrystals and rodi, vacuuming the sand each time (with a nifty home-made micro sand vac made from a 100 ml serological pipette).



Everything is doing very well, no losses, and there is pretty good growth on everything.



So that was a long way to say "hi, and thanks for the education".



No questions this time!:beer:




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire