jeudi 7 avril 2016

New Reef/Tank Setup- Need some help please!

Hello fellow fish lovers! I just purchased (Sunday-4 days ago) a 29 gal. biocube. ($90 on Craigslist- such a great price). It came with a Clownfish, Gobi, and a hermit crab. The guy gave me some pieces of his live rock that he said he found in Hawaii (I have no idea what the name of it is) with his family. The tank was in horrible condition, the water was brown, and everything was full of algae everywhere (he said he had a fish that the algae was "grown for" but that died). I figured for $90, even if the fish didn't make it, I'd be OK, especially with a $400+ price tag on the Bio-cube. So I reduced the water to many buckets and bins that I brought, put the fish in bags, and headed down the highway.

I stopped at Petco on my way home and they tested the water for me, everything was off but the PH. The fish lady suggested that I start fresh with new water, and told me I could get it from a local fish store cheaper than Petco. I found a place that sold Reefwater (I think that's what he called it - again, I'm new to the saltwater terminology) and I brought it home. I got the tank set up, and got it running with new media (I'm using carbon, foam filters, bio balls, and bio-media plus I just got some algone - the my new fish-lady friend at Petco swore by it so I ordered). To date the PH is good, the nitrates and nitrites are OK, and the other levels are in the norm.

Now, my questions.. the live rock was pulled out of the water a few times, from the guy I got the stuff from, and of course me, moving the stuff into the house etc.. When trying to figure out how and what I needed to know about the live rock, I read that all live rock needed to be cured. So I read some info about the process, and why it needs to be cured, and it scared me out of putting the rock in the tank.

I ended up putting the rock in a bucket, with a heater, and a powerhead and it's been there since Monday. The heater I grabbed didn't have the temp numbers listed and the temp in the bucket is like 110 degrees F. (yikes!) I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do or not. Do I really need to let everything die or cure? Have I ruined the rock now that I did this? (it looks like it did when I stuck it in the bucket- no visible changes from looking down into that bucket) I grabbed fresh/clean water from one of the buckets I bought and used that (not the old stuff).

Any advise or input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire