dimanche 3 avril 2016

Black Mollies, Fresh to Salt

My family was gone to sleep overs and out of town baby shower last night. So I hung out at my LFS for a few hours after they closed to help frag and glue with the saw man.

They had picked up a dozen black mollies and I was tasked with acclimating them to salt. They went into a specimen container with about 2 inches of 100% fresh water that they came in. I've heard about this for years, but never tried it myself. Over a two hour period I dipped the container and let a little salt water in. They seemed to have no problem at all with the salt water. Once the container was full I dumped them in. I left a couple of hours later and they all were swimming around looking good, picking at rock and eating brine shrimp. Completely acclimated to the fish system sg of 1.019.

Intention for these guys were to feed loin fish and puffers, but from what I understand they will destroy Green Hair Algae. May be worth a shot if you have GHA and want a cool looking black fish or two in your tank, although I think this can be done with any molly, not just black.

i'm sure that there are tons of threads about this on TRT and other forums, but pretty cool to see it first hand.

Happy Reefing! :beer:


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire