mercredi 23 mars 2016

Feather Duster Issues

I don't see a sub-forum for this type of livestock, so I'll just ask here if that's okay.

I have had a feather duster for almost 2 months now. He is really awesome, and has seemed very healthy and happy up until the last few days.

I have noticed that the hermits I have are constantly climbing on him and picking at the tube, and have withered it down to the almost-transparent layer of hard mucus between the worm and the water. As a result, the tube's strength has been compromised, and he is starting to tip over and touch the sand under his own weight. He started adding some more on to the top of his tube (maybe a half-inch), but it's nowhere near enough to correct the issue he's facing. Right now, I have him sort of propped up against the rock.

I have noticed that he has been sluggish the last few days, and doesn't dart all the way back into his tube anymore. And he can be fully moved around and messed with without retreating. I have also noticed some long, string clear gook coming out of him and sticking to the rocks (which I promptly remove on sight). Not good.

A few of questions:

First, is there any sort of repair I can do with some sort of glue or epoxy to the outside of his tube to maybe attach some sort of supporting outer layer, or maybe even some small substrate pebbles? Has this ever been done by anyone here?

Second, let's take the scenario where this guy dies. He's probably my favorite character in the tank, and I'd love to have one if I can figure out a way to protect him in some way. Has anyone else had issues with hermits or other livestock picking at them? If so, was there anything you could do to stop it? I tried burying him under the sand, but he keeps wiggling his way up, and the hermits dig down a bit to get to him to eat the crap on his outer layers.

Third, isn't it common for them to abandon the tube and take up residence elsewhere if they are stressed?

I target feed him phyto and zoo plankton, and as I already said, he was doing great...but was slowly being picked away at. I don't think survivability is an issue other than this aspect.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire