mercredi 24 février 2016

WOW, a lot has changed!

(Moderators, please throw this post into whatever category you see fit if this is the wrong place, or if you think it will get more traffic somewhere else.)

I have not had a tank up and running for over 10 years!

I used to be VERY much into the reef keeping hobby. In fact in my first house I built a 125g tank into a wall, with a huge fish room behind that wall to hide and house everything that was tied into my display tank. (1) Wet Dry filter set up in a 55 gallon tank that was set up to hold about 25 gallons of system water, 2) a 55 gallon refugium that overflowed into the display tank (it was supposed to help with nitrates, and I am sure it did, but from some of the reading I have done on here the last couple days, it appears the wet dry systems of years ago are now considered Nitrate factories) (the main reason I put the refugium into my system was to grow and cultivate the little live critters that my manadarin goby and seahorses loved and thrived on), 3) a 6 foot protein skimmer that a customer built for me that was RIDICULOUSLY efficient in how much crap it skimmed (held close to 5 gallons of water), 4) 40 gallon separation tank that could be shut off from or returned to the entire system with external filtration systems (I think we called them "mechanical filtration systems" back then), 5) 40 gallon seahorse tank, 6) Fluval canister system and 7) and extra 55 gallon tank sump running at 50%, just to be able to accommodate ALL these tanks in the system's overflow if the the power would go out, or if my main pump should ever fail. All in all, I think there was somewhere between 250-300 gallons in the whole system.

Back then I was young, my wife and I were "dinks", absolutely LOVED to watch the tank (the wall I built it into was in our "TV" room, now they call them "media or theater rooms" where we would spend a couple hours a night, and more on weekends), I was well versed in the hobby (I had worked at a well respected fish store for most of my college years (started out as a marine biology major, but switched to education when I accepted that the only marine biology jobs near home were at Sea World in OH, which has since closed.), I was running a tank maintenance business with all the clients I wanted/needed, and in general had a command of the hobby. I slowly got out of my tank maintenance business, as I started having more draws on my time. Eventually only maintaining my own home system.

I got totally out of the hobby when my wife and I decided to start a family, after living the flush "dink" life for more than 7 years, and I became a stay at home Dad, giving up one of our incomes. (It was not easy, but its something I do not regret for ONE SECOND. Do I long for the years where we would go on 4 day weekend trips to Vegas? Yes, but I have 2 big winners in our son and daughter!)

So flash forward to now, I stopped into one of the TF stores across town just to see what has changed in the hobby, holy cow?!?!?! I then checked out another TFS in the area that specializes in saltwater, holy bigger cow?!?!?!

To say "time marches on" would be a gross understatement. I feel like 10-15 years ago, I knew a lot, and what I didn't know, I knew where to study, who to ask, and had the real life experience to evaluate the different approaches and philosophies before I put one into practice . . . and now, I feel like I know how to put a chain back on a bike but need to take my car into a mechanic with the check engine light on. I can't believe how much I have forgotten, or lost in the gray matter between my ears, due to time, the gray hair on top of my head, and possibly "use it or lose it" and me not "using it".

If you have stayed with me to this point, thanks, I wanted to give any that will respond a little about my history, in that, I am not a newbie, but man with whats out there today, I feel like one!

I still have ALL the tanks listed above. they are dry as a bone, and will eventually need to be washed out this summer, when it is far easier to accomplish outside!

Some initial questions:

1) Smaller self-contained, stand alone reef tanks?

I notice a TON of smaller, stand alone, reef tank set ups for sale now. In the stores they ARE GORGEOUS and obviously very well established! (meaning I can tell they have been set up for quite a while due to the coral growth, spreading to other rocks and substrates . . ) It used to be the "bigger the better", has this changed?

2) Protein Skimmers

Protein skimmers are INFINITELY smaller than they used to be in my past. I am assuming the principals are similar to the past, but the technology has made them FAR more efficient while simultaneously shrinking their physical footprint. When I was in the hobby in the past, they were all, especially the better ones, were all stand alone units that pumped water into them and returned water back to the system, now I see they are small enough now to fit into the sumps. Are their brands that put out excellent products with regard to cost? Also, if anyone is willing to take the time to give me a quick science lesson on the "new, noticeably smaller skimmers" I would be very curious. It used to be it was all about "maximizing the exposure to as many tiny air bubbles as possible to adhere to the impurities and then collecting those wastes", hence venturi valves, with wood diffusers hooked to powerful air pumps, with pumps within chambers to mix and churn those air bubbles as they fought their way to the surface of the chamber.

3) Lights?

Back when I was in the hobby there were two ways to go, metal Hallide, which then required chillers because they put off sooooo much heat to the water. Or, squeezing as many actinic and other spectrum flourescent tubes on top of your tank as close to the water surface as you could get them while using icecap ballasts etc. (I chose the ice cap ballasts, and still have them, but doubt they are beneficial or even recommended anymore) I now see all these stores with LEDs, with everything from small hanging from wire boxes the size of half a shoe box lid, to larger ones resembling more the size of a large pizza box. I have heard the HUGE benefit is they last for years, where the tubes of old lasted 6 months at max benefit. I have also heard, that the price points on these units can vary HUGE in cost. What are your opinions? Likes? Dislikes?

4) Filtration?

As I said earlier, I have read that the wet drys of the past that were considered the top of the line back then are now labeled as Nitrate factories and borderline vilified today. What are the philosophies and methods admired today? (Of course I still have my wet drys, but I assume they will fall into the same category as my icecap ballasts mentioned above)

5) Monitoring Systems?
I see more "electrical gadgets" on some tanks that make it look like a Christmas tree lit up with LED blinking lights under the tank, and hear TFS employees talking to potential customers about monitoring systems that are linked to the smart phones, computers etc. for lights, water testing levels, pumps etc. HOLY CRAP??? I could see this taking all guess work out, and I could see it being a nightmare with a "glitch". Thoughts?


SOOOOOOOO much has changed, and to those that have only been in the hobby for 5-10 years, at the risk of sounding like an old geezer lamenting walking uphill to school both ways in the North Pole, count your blessings as it seems like the hobby has come a VERY LONG way in a very short time.

I am very much thinking about getting back into the hobby for my interested kids' sake, and frankly, I miss it. Due to our kids increased day to day activity schedule, and long weekend days away from home with son's baseball and swimming schedule, over the years as my wife and I's original "fur babies" crossed the rainbow bridge we have not replaced them, as I don't think we have the "social time" to give a dog, especially a puppy, that needs to be exercised, picked up after, and socialized with. But I do think a well placed and maintained fish tank could help with "slowing down" the hectic schedule, and maximize the relaxation 10 minutes here and there that could be had, and offer an amazing alternative to competing "screentime".

Thank you VERY much in advance for any and all input and information. I very much value the knowledge provided by forums, and not that TFS are always trying to "sell" their stuff, but I hope to re-educate myself before I go "kick the tires"

I could see me eventually putting a "fish room" back up with all my older tanks, with "new technologies", but for now am actually interested in some of these smaller self contained tanks.

Feeling much older than I care to admit I am!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire