samedi 27 février 2016

Found a bobbit worm today!

I was cleaning the 150lbs of rock I have been curing for the past week. Had a rock out of the curing tank. I was paying attention to the movie I was watching, and didn't notice I was resting my arm on the live rock I was chiseling corals off of. I felt something moving on my wrist. I instantly knew what it was because it seemed like the stupid thing was looking right at me. A 12-18" bobbit worm was stretching out over my hand/wrist. So.... I did what any other adult man would have done. Screamed bloody murder, and stabbed it with a screwdriver multiple times. Normally I would have saved something like that. Raised it in another tank. But this thing caught me way off guard. I had a screw driver and a hammer in my hands. This thing was a little thicker than a pen. I only had nitrile gloves on. They are very thin, and I had safety goggles on. Thankfully I was prepared. I have never seen a bobbit worm in real life before today. Never thought I would have either! If it was a spider I would have done the same thing! Haha. I just don't like bugs or worms crawling on me.

I read they are venomous? Didn't know that! So, I tossed the remains in the front yard where the dogs couldn't eat it. And now I am a little disappointed I killed it. It's bittersweet to say the least. I am happy it's out of the curing tank. But sad I didn't get a chance to measure it, take pictures of it, or put it in a jar so I could examine it further. i think part of it is still in that rock. Any chance it can regenerate? The head portion of it was cut off. I wonder if it's like a snake... Cut off the head and the body dies.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire