dimanche 28 février 2016

10G cube with cutout v. stock 10G tank

I'm trying to upgrade from my 5 gallon cube, now that I've unfortunately broken the glass cover and replacements are not available. In addition I've realized that 5 is too small for fish and most livestock. You really need 8-10 to even consider the smallest of fish and perhaps a crab or two or a shrimp. Hair algae is also brutal in micro tanks.

So I decided that I could go as large as 10G and that is better than the 8. Choices are cubes:

http://ift.tt/1Qno73p

versus a standard 10G fish tank rectangular (20x10x12).

Some important differences. The cube has a nice cutout in back to hid the filter media. But the tank that was 15x12x13 becomes merely a 11.8" x 11.8" cube given the back compartment. That is practically the same size as my 5G 10x10x12 that is open with an HOB filter on back to increase water volume and also not clutter up the rear too much. That also has my filter media in there, with another filter that does more filter as an in tank filter in the corner, heater in the other corner.

The other aspect I like about the open tanks is that I can have a long draw tube from an HOB filter which sucks up a lot of the gunk in the water further down the tank. Stuff like the Innovate cube only has an intake at the very top. You put the filter media in the back and it's probably altogether more effective. You also don't have to worry about the HOB filter not working and spilling on the floor. But that rarely happens and I find my setup reasonably effective. But I do worry about the proprietary return flow in the back. Don't know if there are other units that will fit in this little compartment should I need to replace.

Last thing is the tank dimensions. 20" wide is much more preferable, at least I think so. That's a lot better than 12", even with the price of a cluttered rear of the tank. Plus wider lighting is usually much easier found. I found 14" being the smallest most of these decent lights go. It's why I have an LED bulb in a lamp above my current tank. Any thoughts?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire