mardi 21 avril 2015

DIY project

Ok guys... I'm feeling adventurous and have decided to embark on a DIY tank, stand, canopy and LR and I have a couple questions for those of you that have been down this road before. Constructive criticism/suggestions also welcome.

The total volume will be 65 gallons with measurements of 32wx22dx24h.
I'm wanting a good amount of depth to allow for more open space because I'd like to try a 3d background like this:

http://ift.tt/1yMKAU8

In the update he explains he's had an issue with algae after the background went in. I was thinking after coating the foam with sand/crushed coral it could be coated with an epoxy to keep undesirables from seeping out of the foam? Your thoughts?

As far as the glass itself I was planning to go with 1/4" thick, but I was curious as to whether or not the bottom should be tempered. I'd like to have the drilling done on the bottom to keep the plumbing out of sight. I have no experience with glass drilling and the info I've gathered says tempered can't be drilled but I'm worried about the weight of water/sand/rock sitting on 1/4" plate glass. If tempered isn't an option for bottom drilled, should I go with a thicker piece for the bottom? Will non tempered 1/4" actually support the weight?... because that seems to go against everything I know about life.

As far as bracing is concerned, I've seen a few examples where the bracing was nothing more that a piece of plate glass attached across the top center with silicone. Does anyone have experience with this?

Since the tank will be rimless I wonder about the weight of the canopy sitting directly on the glass. Will this be an issue at all? Should I buffer it with plastic stripping of some kind?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire