vendredi 1 avril 2016

Keeping zoas and palys with children in the house

Hi all,
I've been doing a lot of reading lately about palys and zoas and their toxicity (palytoxin). I started in this hobby about 1.5 yrs ago with a specific goal to help my children learn about and become excited in the marine ecosystem and marine biology. I have two boys, 4yrs and 7yrs.

Well - goal accomplished! Having a tank and starting a reef has been an absolute joy and hit with the whole family. However, one of my concerns is that in our tank we have 3 types of zoas and 2 types of palys. After reading about the toxicity of palytoxin - be it by coming in contact with an open wound in the water column or by breathing it in the air - I am wondering if it is smart to have those coral types in my tank with the potential of children young enough to be putting their hands in the tank (and then, of course, in their mouths).

Has anyone else removed their zoas/palys due to this concern? I know that not all zoas/palys carry the deadly palytoxin, but since there is no way to be sure, it seems that the cautious move would be to not have any in the tank.

Thoughts? Trying to be a good mom and a good reefer!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire