mercredi 13 juillet 2016

Reef Aquarium Water too Clean

Hi everyone,

I have been keeping fresh water and FOWLR for over 20 years with no issues and I consider myself fairly knowledgable about it. Water chemistry in those type of set ups as we know it are less challenging than coral set ups.

Recently (4 months ago) I decided to up the challenge by setting a new built by me 65 gallon cube. Along with this I set a sump containing a filter sock, a 1990s technology Sealife System venturi skimmer (very effective and producing very dark skim water), also biopellet reactor containing less than 100 gm, and last a very large canister filter (Odyssea 14i)

The tank has a small bicolor frogspawn, a torch coral, a hammer coral, 2 heads of duncan coral, 3 heads of candy cane coral and a few frags of zoas scattered around.

Well, I am writing because in my research I always found that quality of water was the key to success in a reef aquarium. Everyone seem to seek or talk and brag about having setups with 0 ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. As I cycle my tank it went thru all the normal chemistry spikes even though I was able to control and cycle my tank with a great bacteria bottle that I added for that purpose.

Anyways, tank has been cycle for some time and everything seen to be perfect:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phosphate: 0

PH: 8.2
KH: 8
CA: 425
MG: 1350

My problem with this is that my corals are not showing signs of growth...I approach my LFS and they tell me my tank is "too clean".

Too clean? Isn't that what everyone strives for?

I understand my filtering system is good enough for its purpose but far less than many people that are in the hobby. I feed my fish well without starving them for the sake of keeping a crystal clear tank.

My understanding now is that I must have low levels of nitrate and phosphate in order for the coral to thrive...what a predicament!!!

How do I do that without destroying the beneficial balance?

Thank you for any help guys.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire