vendredi 22 juillet 2016

Never Ending battle with Diatoms

All,

Can anyone give me any more advice on getting rid of these diatoms. I am not sure how they started (i have an idea).

I went on vacation for a few days and my wife fed the fish. When i got home the tank was still fine then i went on another trip a few days later ( i did water change prior to the second trip).

That trip i had friend stop and feed the fish. He only had to stop one day and do it.

Since around that time i have had diatoms. I cant imagine the tank was over fed by that much to cause this battle. It has been 3 months i have had diatoms on the sand bed. I do weekly 10-15 gallon water changes. (120 gallon tank)

Even after cleaning the sand bed (i do it every week) The bed looks clean for about 6 hours then they start appearing again. I run GFO. I have a skimmer. Recently set up a UV Sterilizer. Use red sea coral pro salt. RODI water. I dose a small (5 ml ) of calcium and alk.

I have reduced my lighting (led maxspect razor) in both intensity and time length (11 am to 9 pm ramp up and down time included) I have done a few larger water changes (about 20 gallons)

I am thinking of buying the Bulk Reef Supply high capacity GFO . Will that help?

My water tests look good. I am just getting frustrated with this and cant figure out what i can do. If i turn off my lights for a few days everything clears up but then within a few days it is back.

Any suggestions?! i really appreciate any input I do have an extra BRS reactor that i can run something else in. Any suggestions are really appreciated. If i didn't have so much money tied up in the tank i would just tear down and take a break but i dont want to give up.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire