mardi 17 mai 2016

Need some suggestions for caring for my Sun Coral

Sharon and I recently purchased a bright orange sun coral at a reef show from a nice couple from Cleveland. It is a rally awesome piece!!

I have done my research on it and know that it needs low light and water flow plus it has to be regularly fed to survive.

I have has been over two weeks and I have been working to get it to come out of it's tubes.

At the suggestion of my LFS (thanks jeff) I made a feeding chamber out of a water bottle with the bottom cut out of it. I put it over the coral and then open the top and squirt some "coral smoothie" food into it and them close it up so it is surrounded by the mixture for 1-2 hours. I have not seen a total extension of the polyps yet but they are defiantly raising out of their tubes.

When the lights came on this morning at 6:30am (slow sunrise to 8:30am) I did see where the polyps were extended out of their tubes (a first). After the first hour of sunrise they retracted.

I have considered placing the feeding tube over it just before lights out and injecting it with food and leaving it all night (8hrs) to allow it to come out and feed. Does this sound like a good plan?

So am I on the right track and should I continue the current process or are there other things I can do to help my sun coral's progress?

Thanks for your input!! :)
Tim


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire