samedi 28 mai 2016

solved my algae problem

This is not my first rodeo, so I tried everything to get rid of my hair algae!!!!

I do mean everything. Then when I added more snails 99% of them would die. I was almost literally pulling my hair out!!!!

It ended up being the salt mix.

I was using old salt mix. Bags were still sealed but a little clumpy and seemed a bit damp when I opened a bag. They had been sitting sealed in a box for 8 years??????

Anyhow, SG was right, temp was right, just could not figure it out. Since it was the first time I had used Tech M I chalked it up to the Tech M killing snails.

So I ordered a massive amount of snails.....a few days before this I did some massive water changes so much that there should not have been any Tech M in the system.

After placing the snails in the tank, they fell off the glass and it looked like it was curtains for the snails.

So I was like, this cannot be Fing happening. I went to PETCO and got a bucket of IO.

Did a massive water change and about 1/3 of the snails lived.

Now I have been on 2000ml of water change a day, and about a month later I have about 25% of the hair algae I had before. So I am winning the battle.

I am just flabbergasted as this is salt I have never had a problem with. Absolutely never!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best **** salt I had ever tried. So I will have to get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they have to say about salt chemistry changing after sitting that long.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire