dimanche 1 mai 2016

"Go Big or Go Home?"

--or "Don't Bite Off More than you can Chew"?

I've been running a sumpless 20g for almost a year now, and haven't been around these forums much recently because nothing interesting has happened. I'm currently fighting with Cyano, which has had no problem just barely slipping by in my aquarium. It started back when I wasn't using RODI, and has been there ever since. I vacuum the sandbed, remove what I can with a turkey baster, and it never gets terribly overgrown, but it won't go away either. I have tried doing up to two water changes per week, dimming my lights and decreasing their on time, chemical solutions, replacing the majority of the sandbed, etc. I still very much so have the cyano, and it's here to stay. But I believe I have diagnosed the problem, and come up with a solution, that I find rather delightful:

Running this nano tank is hard and I probably shouldn't do it.

I'm in a prime position with my life as of now to upgrade to something much larger, as I said that I would half a year ago. I have plenty of space in an inset wall in my basement, at the bottom of a staircase, where there is essentially no natural light, a floor which is laminate over concrete, so there are no structural worries, an area which is well traveled, near a faucet, and generally sits around 60°F.

Originally, I was thinking that I would just get a 40B, but after walking into a petsmart and seeing a 75 gallon, a tank that I could probably take a nap in, I decided that I definitely wanted to go with something big. After looking at all the standard tank sizes, the ones I've narrowed myself down to are a 75, a 120, and a 125.

Pulling my dimensions from http://ift.tt/1X3nORF:

75 - Large but manageable, a worthy upgrade from a 20, and considerably less expensive than either other option. I've seen this tank in person and I like it a lot.

120 - Significantly larger, and crossing the three digit mark means way more scary, but it would also open up a lot more options as far as livestock goes. This size would make me officially off the radar of the local tang police.

125 - There's something alluring about that 6ft length, and I'm seriously considering this size, given the go ahead from the community around here. I'm a bit worried that the width would be troublesome with aquascaping and potentially limit my livestock options. I really want some opinions on this, as there's a lot to large tank ownership that I'm not fluent in.


Whichever size we end up going with, there are still many questions to be answered. This tank will likely start off as a FOWLR, with the complete intention of going full reef once I'm comfortable. I'm genuinely anxious about doing this at all, simply because there's a lot to potentially screw up. Going off of what I have now, I don't want to get myself into something I can't handle. I have about 4 weeks to plan before I start having the income needed to begin making the big purchases, so I'm going to start a shopping list here ↓ hopefully populating it not only on my own research, but also the responses I get on here. For now, it will be blank.
  • Tank:
    • Reef-Readyor no? Size?


  • LR/DR:
    • Live or Dead? Where from? How much?
    • I currently have "Real Reef" in my 20 and don't know how I feel about it. It seems like it would've never grown any coralline if I hadn't added more LR.


  • BB/Sandbed Depth:


  • Lighting:
    • Really want to do some exploring here, LED's of this caliber seem rather expensive compared to their T5 counterparts.


  • Sump/Sump Contents:
    • I have never owned a sump and have no idea what to put in it. For this reason, I will likely buy a pre-built and am REALLY looking for recommendations.


  • Pumps(Circ/Return):


  • Fuge/No Fuge:
    • I don't really know how fuge's work, but researching that is my job, any insight is welcome though.


  • Skimmer:


  • Controller/ATO:
    • I'm secretly hoping people tell me not to buy a controller so I can save some money


  • RO System:
    • will my http://ift.tt/1vL86Oqcut it for this system?I might have to make some changes to my "pump full some 5 gallon buckets the day after a water change" system, but I haven't the slightest idea what


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire