Hello,
About a few weeks ago I bought my second ever LPS coral after weeks of research (The first being a frogspawn that succumbed to brown jelly disease), a trumpet. Here is what it looked like when being advertised. Looks healthy to me! If it is relevant, it was kept under metal halide lighting.

Here it is when it arrived after three days in the post. It came with a heat pack to keep it comfortable. Not as puffy, but I guess that was to be expected. I acclimated it for about an hour and a half before putting it on the substrate, where hopefully it would start coming out again when it felt like it.

The trouble is that a hermit crab managed to knock it over after a few days and the frag was somehow grabbed by the bubble tip anemone. Ever since, the tissue has been receding pretty badly. I've moved it into a crevice further up the rockwork where it is more sheltered from the flow and won't be disturbed. This was taken yesterday, apologies for poor image quality:

The polyps do display tiny feeder tentacles at night (Barely more than stubs) so I've been putting small bits of food on them to see if they will eat (Including the squid I feed to the anemone, bits of fish flake, brine shrimp, etc.). So far it doesn't seem to be interested.
Water parameters were tested this morning by my LFS and are as follows:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
PH: 9.0
KH: 90 (The LFS advised I start adding small doses of a sodium bicarbonate buffer every week or so until the KH goes up. Apart from this, I do not add anything to the water.)
Calcium: 480
Phosphate: 0
Specific gravity: 0.025
Magnesium: 1250
Other animals are as follows:
2x Percula clownfish
1x Midas blenny
1x Blue devil damselfish
1x Banded serpent starfish
1x Skunk cleaner shrimp
1x Rose bubble tip anemone
2x Blue legged hermit crabs
1x Babylonian whelk (It was sold to me as a Tongan nassarius snail... :doh:)
3x Nassarius snails
2x Trochus snails
2x Green star polyp frags
1x Kenya tree frag
1x Brown Zoanthid colony
9x Pulsing xenia colonies
1x Finger leather
1x Sarcophyton sp. toadstool
2x Small dark red mushrooms
And this is the light that I'm keeping everything under.
There's also a healthy population of bristleworms, mini featherdusters, micro brittle stars, Amphipods, Stomatella snails and peanut worms (And several Asterina stars).
The aquarium is about 120L. I upgraded to it about three months ago from a 36L nano (Which I had for two years). This was taken just before the trumpet's purchase:

Sorry for any mess in the images, up until recently there was a Cyanobacteria outbreak.
I've read plenty of accounts of LPS corals receding away and then springing back later, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. For now I intend to just keep an eye on the trumpet and make sure it isn't disturbed.
Any advice you guys can offer me is very welcome. Thank you for your time! :)
About a few weeks ago I bought my second ever LPS coral after weeks of research (The first being a frogspawn that succumbed to brown jelly disease), a trumpet. Here is what it looked like when being advertised. Looks healthy to me! If it is relevant, it was kept under metal halide lighting.
Here it is when it arrived after three days in the post. It came with a heat pack to keep it comfortable. Not as puffy, but I guess that was to be expected. I acclimated it for about an hour and a half before putting it on the substrate, where hopefully it would start coming out again when it felt like it.
The trouble is that a hermit crab managed to knock it over after a few days and the frag was somehow grabbed by the bubble tip anemone. Ever since, the tissue has been receding pretty badly. I've moved it into a crevice further up the rockwork where it is more sheltered from the flow and won't be disturbed. This was taken yesterday, apologies for poor image quality:
The polyps do display tiny feeder tentacles at night (Barely more than stubs) so I've been putting small bits of food on them to see if they will eat (Including the squid I feed to the anemone, bits of fish flake, brine shrimp, etc.). So far it doesn't seem to be interested.
Water parameters were tested this morning by my LFS and are as follows:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
PH: 9.0
KH: 90 (The LFS advised I start adding small doses of a sodium bicarbonate buffer every week or so until the KH goes up. Apart from this, I do not add anything to the water.)
Calcium: 480
Phosphate: 0
Specific gravity: 0.025
Magnesium: 1250
Other animals are as follows:
2x Percula clownfish
1x Midas blenny
1x Blue devil damselfish
1x Banded serpent starfish
1x Skunk cleaner shrimp
1x Rose bubble tip anemone
2x Blue legged hermit crabs
1x Babylonian whelk (It was sold to me as a Tongan nassarius snail... :doh:)
3x Nassarius snails
2x Trochus snails
2x Green star polyp frags
1x Kenya tree frag
1x Brown Zoanthid colony
9x Pulsing xenia colonies
1x Finger leather
1x Sarcophyton sp. toadstool
2x Small dark red mushrooms
And this is the light that I'm keeping everything under.
There's also a healthy population of bristleworms, mini featherdusters, micro brittle stars, Amphipods, Stomatella snails and peanut worms (And several Asterina stars).
The aquarium is about 120L. I upgraded to it about three months ago from a 36L nano (Which I had for two years). This was taken just before the trumpet's purchase:
Sorry for any mess in the images, up until recently there was a Cyanobacteria outbreak.
I've read plenty of accounts of LPS corals receding away and then springing back later, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. For now I intend to just keep an eye on the trumpet and make sure it isn't disturbed.
Any advice you guys can offer me is very welcome. Thank you for your time! :)
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire