lundi 20 novembre 2017

Brand new to the hobby and just need some advice on getting set up

Hello everyone Im Matt live in Louisiana and over the years Ive had many many successful freshwater tanks. Last tank I owned left with my ex wife.... either way 10 years later Ive gotten remarried, about 3 years ago, and now a foster family to some very sweet girls. We were at petsmart getting dog food for our lab and she caught me checking out the aquariums and I pointed out the 55 gal one and told her I liked it. Well she tried to keep it hidden at my dads house but little girls cant keep secrets. So its a 55 gal kit thats pictured she got it out the door for around $150 which doesnt seem like a bad price. I dont care if its not the best and not looking for reviews on it, its the thought that counts and my wife bought it for my so Im happy with it

So Im thinking about setup and equipment and all of that. I know I want to have a mix of corals and a few fish with live rock. Thinking i want a sump but havent figured out all of that yet. I have to build my stand first and I cant start that until after Christmas so I have some time to plan this right.

Ok my questions

1 is a 20 gallon tank large enough for a sump on a 55 gal tank

2 if I have a 20 gal sump on my 55 gal display and my heater is in my sump do I use one for a 20 gal tank or 55 gal tank? That goes for filter and anything else that goes in the sump

3 what skimmer is good but wont break the bank.

4 any advice on building the cabinet as in anything I need to make sure to add. I built cabinets for a couple of years so structurally Im good just making sure I dont miss something that will be harder to add later

5 thinking about building a custom hood for it maybe adding better lights then comes with the kit. What type of lights do saltwater fish and coral need? I believe the lights that come in that kit are just for show and doesnt help anything grow but I have no idea

6 do I need a canister style filter? So I can plan space for it in the cabinet

And Im sure there will be tons more questions as I go but wanted to get the basics covered before I start building the cabinet. I have a lot of plumbing questions rolling around in my head also but thats only if I go with a sump

Thanks in advance
Matt


Marineland 55 Gallon BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: A545FDCE-6D18-44B0-9F2E-D22E84194859_1511217051445.jpg Views: N/A Size: 24.8 KB ID: 165641  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire