samedi 2 septembre 2017

New Herbie Overflow. 1/4" purge line???

I just set up my first sump/refugium. I've had all-in-one tanks for 10 years now and this is my first time plumbing something like this.

I built a custom stand. My 30 gallon cube sits to the left. My 20 gallon standard to the right a mere 9" lower.

I have her running pretty good with a Mag 5 return. I have the display tank drilled out the back with an inside overflow box running a Herbie set up.

My only main problem right now is when I shut down and restart, the main ball-valved drain takes too long to catch siphon. My emergency pipe struggles as well as there is a gurgling and air is trying to purge. The overflow box fills up and drains just in time. This runs it course for multiple cycles. It takes about 45 seconds to purge the air before the main drain takes over at full siphon.

I've seen examples of a component I think I'm missing: What is the purpose of a 1/4" surgical tube threaded into the highest portion of the main drain plumbing? I didn't add this 1/4" line and feel like it will purge the system quicker. Is this safe to assume?

With a mere 9" drop in tank elevations, the drains' run horizontal for a minute before making their short descent. It works, I just need to encourage a quicker purge.

Will the 1/4" line help and how do I install it?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire