dimanche 3 septembre 2017

My new 30/20 Reef Tank!

This is my new system. It's a modified Biocube 29 running into a 20 gallon sump/refugium.



I removed the back dividing wall on the Biocube and drilled for two 1" drains and one 1/2" return. I added a ply of tinted acrylic to the back wall for extra reinforcement and drilled that. There is an internal overflow box going into a Herbie style set up.



For the refugium/sump, I used a standard 20 gallon and designed dividers. The refugium chamber 'hooks' around the sump and return chamber so you mainly see refugium as the display.

The reef tank dumps into the rear chamber and the current moves under the first wall into the large refugium. The current 'hooks' around the 'L' shaped refugium, over the far refugium wall, and then under a 1" bubble trap in the return chamber. The trap baffle is removable for cleaning. There aren't any bubbles so I'm more so using the 1" trap for filter media- sponge and a bag of carbon. A Mag 5 pump powers the current back to the reef display sitting a mere 9" higher (2' head from pump).



I made a custom stand out of 1/2" fine grade plywood. My friend is well versed in Autocad. I drew the dimensions and he plugged it into a program that breaks down each panel cut needed. I made my cuts and used a Craig jig with Guerilla wood glue. There is little internal framing needed due to the design so the entire stand is reasonably light. I topped it with real Teak vaneer, which is of course, a tropical wood known for its water resistance. I painted the face white and have yet to add doors or internal shelves.

I am not done but it is running pretty good right now. I am using my old rock and plan to add more. Not sure if I will add dry and let it seed or buy some live. No fish yet. I had a mated pair of clowns that died in the move. That's actually what started this whole rebuild.

Future plans include adding a Aquamaxx WS-1 in-sump skimmer and DIY Raspberry Pi 120v relay controller.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire