jeudi 2 octobre 2014

My new saltwater (ad)venture

Good morning everyone,



The other day my niece gave me her 14 gallon Coralife Biocube. She had owned it for only a few months; she had bought it from another aquarium enthusiast. The tank has live rock, live sand, and some critters (but so far I've only seen 1 snail and 1 hermit crab). I doubt my niece did much in the way of maintenance in the short time she had it.



So I reassembled the unit, and put back all the water that she had given me, and it is up and running. I did a water test last night and it showed: pH 8.4, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, but nitrates were high--40.



I am not very experienced with saltwater tanks. I have a 6 gal nano cube with live rock, live sand, some hermit crabs, and a couple of clownfish, but it was set up for us by someone else, and I wasn't involved in the cycling process. Other than periodic water changes, replacing media, and feeding the fish, I really don't do much else with it, and by sheer luck, the fish have managed to stay alive for the last 3 years! I would like to eventually put the clownfish in the bigger tank, perhaps along with a couple of hardy corals, but I know I have to wait until the bigger tank is optimally running.



At this point, I have some questions:

1 - There seems to be an awful lot of live rock for a 14 gallon tank - is too much of that a bad thing?

2 - Even though it had been an established tank, I am assuming there will be some kind of cycling process since everything was disrupted in the move?

3 - I did a partial water change last night and will test the water again tonight. If nitrates are still high, do I do partial water changes every time after I test the water until they level out?



Any advice will be greatly appreciated!



Angie




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire