mardi 28 octobre 2014

a note on tidy up crews

these past few weeks have been something. algae has really started getting ahold of my tank, not due to husbandry negligence but because my rocks are full and are now leeching out. im not sure what kindve algae it is but here is a pic of a spot I let grow just to get an ID on it. it looks like a mini xmas tree and I know I got it from my lfs despite cleaning frags I never dipped them or did any algae preventive cleanings on them.









it grows on my top layer of rocks where the light is dominant, its not a real problem throughout the rest of the tank. except for the massive amount of white tube like sponges the rocks looks pretty clear.



so yesterday I got 10 astrea snails and they are doing quite a good job cleaning the rocks up, not that they are doing it in a fast motion, but the trail they leave behind is clean. I think in a week or two they will turn all the algae into poop which is much easier to clean up. I haven't had a clean up crew in this tank before now, I didn't feel I was growing enough algae to feed a tidy up crew and my coral beauty was doing a decent job of controlling it. but when I took him out of the tank for treatment the algae got stronger and when I put him back in he wouldn't touch a lot of what had grew. I did some research and made a list of 7 suggested snails that were easy to work with but my local lfs only had astrea's. I think I may only stick with these 10 because before everything goes into the 90g the rock will be cooked and no tap water will be used. I don't wanna get more tidy up crew members just to have the 90g be too clean to support their lives.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire