mercredi 25 avril 2018

Return from a looong hiatus!

Holy cow, it has been a really, Really, REALLY long time since I've been on this forum (or any SW/Reef forum)! According to TRT stats, my last post was in December 2013. Egads!

Anyway, after the birth of my second daughter in 2012, an unfortunate die-off of almost everything in my mixed-reef tank in 2013, and a subsequent massive aiptasia infestation, I kind of lost my mojo and my OCD for saltwater aquaria. My tank has been up and running all this time, though. I just haven't put much effort into it. As an example, until a week or two ago, it had been 3+ years since the last time I did a water change on my tank!

The only remaining inhabitants of my tank are a lone Ocellaris Clown (10 years old), some snails and hermit crabs that somehow survived the neglect, and several small sponges that have grown out of nowhere.

To be honest, I was basically waiting for the Clownfish to eventually run up the curtain and join the choir invisible. Then I was going to dismantle the whole setup and give everything away. However, my daughters love the Clownfish (named Volcano), and I promised to keep the tank running as long as he was still alive. On several occasions, I have tried adding new fish to the tank, but they always end up "disappeared" within a couple weeks with absolutely no trace of what happened to them. Volcano has always been the lone survivor. Sometimes I wonder if I own a possessed Clownfish who eats any and all new tankmates I add to the aquarium. Or is it just coincidence?

While doing some snorkeling on vacation in the USVI last month, my awe and wonder for wet, salty things was rekindled. A couple weeks ago, I started doing frequent water changes again to get my parameters back in line. This past weekend, I picked up a few small coral frags to add some color and interest back to my tank. Just some easy corals like toadstool leather, green star polyps, frog spawn, a couple mushroom polyps, a rock of zoas, and pulsing xenia. I want to add more stuff back to my tank, but I want to take it slow and make it simple and easy to maintain this time around.

Anyway, my point with this post was to simply re-introduce myself and say "Hi!" to anyone who may remember me. I'm excited about my new lease on the salty life and look forward to becoming active on TRT again.

Thanks,
Robb


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire