vendredi 24 mars 2017

Herbie overflow bulkhead/pipe sizing question

tl/dr: I am running a herbie overflow in a 55 gal tank, I have 3/4 inch bulkheads that I cannot replace, but I want to run 1" pvc piping in an attempt increase my flow. Will this increase the flow at all(even slightly?), or will this 1" pipe make it harder to create a siphon due to the 3/4 inch bulkhead chokepoint? Would it be beneficial to use 1" pvc above the bulkhead in the overflow and 3/4 inch pvc after the bulkhead?



Hey everyone, I have been lurking for the past 2 months, researching on how to build my first reef tank. I do have one question I was hoping I could get answered. First here is some info on my set up:

I have a 55 gallon "tall" tank(dimensions are somewhere around 36" across, 22" tall, 18" deep), this sits on a stand about 3 feet tall. I intend to have a herbie overflow system in this tank. I have a corner overflow, purchased from my local pet store, glued into place. The tank was pre drilled with 2 holes when i bought it, sadly these holes will only fit 3/4 inch bulkheads, so 3/4 inch pvc piping is what I have been forced to use. This runs to a 15 gallon sump(all I can fit, it will have to do), an eshopps 120 protein skimmer, and a 4.0 sicci return pump. Lastly I have about 4 feet of 1" spa flex for my return line. If there is any more info that may be needed please let me know.

SO now here lies my issue: When i went to set all this up, my return pump's flow was much more than the inflow from the 3/4 bulkhead/pvc piping. I had my piping set up properly as far as herbies go, however the pump was going so fast I couldn't really mess around trying to get a siphon on the drain pipes. Since then, I have throttled the return pump by adding a gate valve to the spa flex, however I haven't tested this out yet because I am interested in increasing my tanks flow in general. Thus, here lies my question: Will using 1" pipe for my herbie system, despite my 3/4" bulkheads, help increase my tanks flow at all?(even slightly?), or will this 1" pipe make me worse off by making it harder to create a siphon due to the 3/4 inch bulkhead chokepoint? Would it be beneficial to use 1" pvc above the bulkhead in the overflow and 3/4 inch pvc after the bulkhead? I have had trouble finding exact answers to this question on any forums, which has forced me to finally register and become active in the community. I thank you all for any help you may provide in advance!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire