mardi 28 mars 2017

Help with sump design

Hi,
I have a 40 breeder with an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer currently. I built a new stand so I can get a 40 breeder sump underneath. I've been reading a bunch and can't quite get my mind around the sump design I need so I don't have a flood from the display tank. I'm drilling my tank with an overflow from glass holes.com, so I don't know how far below the tank rim my overflow will sit until I get the overflow this week.

I think I will have a 3 chamber sump. I'm going to continue to use the HOB on the DT for now, but will build the sump in anticipation of getting a Reef Octopus in sump skimmer which needs a 7" water level. The second chamber will just have the heater, so the rest is left for my return. The mag 5 I have has an outlet at about 41/2 inches. I'm trying to figure how high to get my glass baffles cut.

Do I want all the baffles as high as possible so there is the maximum capacity to accommodate an overflow from the DT? For example, 12 inches for the skimmer baffle ( 17 inch high tank ), and 10.5 inches for my bubble trap baffles before the return? I'll just have to boost up the skimmer when I get it. That way I'd have quite a bit of volume capacity in my return area incase the return pump fails. Am I missing something? Is it bad to have the water level that close to the top of the tank in my skimmer section? I'd basically have about 7 inches of length for my skimmer section, a pretty small middle section and all the rest can be for my return section. That seems to be what I'm reading ( to keep the return section big to accommodate for a back up)

thanks :beer:


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire