vendredi 22 janvier 2016

Water Conditioners - Aqueon vs. SeaChem Prime

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Wildlife Keeper at my local science museum and nature center, and am currently in charge of our 100 gal. recirculating North Atlantic Tidepool exhibit (cold saltwater, no reef). We have been using Aqueon's Water Conditioner so far to condition water used in water changes when adding the new water to the tank. The tank has been running on this for several years and has been fine for the most part.

Recently, our courier brought us back a different brand that, after some searching, claimed to do similar things but had slightly different ingredients. This prompted me to do some research on what my options were, and it seems like SeaChem Prime is a popular choice for a lot of people.

Both Aqueon and SeaChem claim to neutralize chlorines and chloramines, detoxify ammonia and heavy metals, and aid in restoring slime coat. The only major difference I can see is that SeaChem claims to detoxify nitrite and nitrate as well, but won't give a full list of active ingredients.
Is there a general consensus out there if one brand is better overall than the other as a water conditioner? I do have two small fish in the tank, but it is mostly marine invertebrates.

Also, if I were to change the water conditioner (or any tank aid) I am using, can I just start using the new brand? Or is there a safe way to swap the tank over from one to the other?

Thanks!

Amy


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire