vendredi 29 janvier 2016

"Dust" On Rock

Hey everyone,

I am new to the hobby and I needed a little help with something I've noticed in my tank. For the past few days I've been noticing a buildup of what I thought was algae on my dry rock. Today I noticed it looked darker and grey. I haven't heard of any type of grey algae and it occurred to me to try to blow it off with a turkey baster, which I did. I noticed that small particles that were being blown away from the rock and when I was done my water looked slightly murky. It basically looked like "dust" had settled on the rocks.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with about 30 lbs. of sand and 40 lbs. of dry (white) rock. I followed my lfs's advice and am running 2 HOB aquaclear 70 filters, one with the basic items that came with the filters and the other with calcium reactor media they suggested I use (still don't know what it's for but they suggested I just leave it there). I have one koralia powerhead facing towards the surface.

The tank has been running for about a month and has been cycled for about 2 weeks. I am just now starting to see what I think are diatoms. I have one cleaner shrimp, one peppermint shrimp, and one coral banded shrimp, and I've switched to feeding them about a third of a cube of brine shrimp per day.

I have added pictures if it helps. If anyone could help me figure out what this "dust" is that settled on my rocks it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachment 121405

Attachment 121406

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: IMG_3545.jpg Views: N/A Size: 106.3 KB ID: 121405   Click image for larger version Name: IMG_3546.jpg Views: N/A Size: 93.2 KB ID: 121406  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire