samedi 4 février 2017

I don't no if my salinity is high?

I had an old instant ocean swing arm hydrometer that is getting high readings so I bought another one and it's even higher. I just ordered a refractometer from Walmart for $17.99.

I have the 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo. It's more like 10-11 gallons though

I also have a RODI machine

RODI water without salt reads:
Old instant ocean hydrometer reads: 1.000
New instant ocean hydrometer reads: 1.004


Saltwater readings for water change water are:

Old instant ocean hydrometer salt mix reads: 1.027 or 36 ppt
New instant ocean hydrometer salt mix reads: 1.030 or 40ppt
The temperature is at 80.9 degrees mixing in a Home Depot bucket

The water in my tank right now reads:
Old instant ocean hydrometer salt mix reads: 1.025 or 34ppt
New instant ocean hydrometer salt mix reads: 1.028 or38ppt

The salt I am using is about 4 years old. I don't no if that would matter or not? It had never been opened. I'm using Brightwell Aquatics Neo Marine salt. I mix half a cup per gallon like the directions say but it always comes out high. So then I mix more RODI in the bucket until it's in between 1.024-1.025. So I'm not understanding how my tank water is reading higher than what I put in? I use to use instant ocean reef crystals with arrow head bottled water in my old nano and it would come out perfectly with the hydrometer at 1.024-1.025

I ad a little bit of top off water but not much since the lid of the tank makes very little evaporation

The Tank reads 82.2 degrees I don't even have a heater because the water runs to hot. I don't even want to think what it will read in the summer. My room temperature is reading 79 degrees and in the summer it gets to 81-83 degrees in my room I also have a couple snails and a couple corals that came on the live rock. They seem to be doing fine.

Is this refractometer going to work or did I waste my money? I also bought the calibration fluid. Should be here in 10 days or so.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: IMG_4071.jpg Views: N/A Size: 61.8 KB ID: 146385  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire