jeudi 31 juillet 2014

Removal of flatworms on plate coral

My tank was getting overrun with flatworms a few months ago, but I had a horrid experience with Flatworm Exit. However, it did get rid of most of the flatworms except for the ones stuck to my long tentacle plate coral.



I tried sucking them off with a baster originally, but damaged some tentacles, so that idea was out. Then I tried blowing them off with the baster, but they would hold their grip.



Tonight, while doing a water change, I noticed the plate coral was shriveled up with the spines showing, as it sometimes does and while using the baster to blow sand of the coral, I noticed the flatworms were blowing off it and into the water column. So, I continued with a nice sturdy surge from the baster and sucked up the worms with my hose attachment as I was emptying tank water. The worms apparently have less of a stronghold on the coral when it's in that shriveled, retracted stage.



The plate coral looked "happy" afterwards and I was amazed to find that I'd eradicated about 80% of the worms.



So, if you have flatworms on your plate corals and don't wish to damage them, wait until they are "shriveled up" and then try blowing them off and sucking them up.



Not sure anybody's done this before and mentioned it here, but I've only been keeping a reef tank just under 2 years now, so it may not be anything new, but you never know, so thought I'd share this.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire