jeudi 29 mars 2018

Salt Sales: Tis the Season!

Hi TRT-ers.

I wanted to let those who do not track this stuff know: The spring salt sales have started!

I do not remember which thread, but in one of my "skimmers vs water changes" for a small tank discussions had the topic of "cheap" salt came up. It was something like "should I spend $200 on a HOB skimmer" or "should I spend $200 on salt" I used a cost estimation using a salt-sale... and then was asked how I could find salt that cheap. Well guess what... salt is that cheap now.

Live Aquaria has Coralife (a very good salt) for $34 per 200g box.
They have the sibling company Kent for $38/box(Kent, Oceanic?, and Coralife are all owned by Central Pet). Amazon has a small discount on Reef Chrystals, Big Als as a few discounts too that is sub $40/200g.

Coralife
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...3753+3756+5711

Kent
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...3753+3756+3909

The salt sales might/will likely continue. Spring marks the waning of the hobby (more active in cold months) and folks going outside mean that you spend less on your tanks. As a result, a lot of the industry is now starting to unload "last-years" stock. Salt being one of those items (as compared to a pump).

Now, I am a big fan of using "cheap salt" for frequent water changes vs "expensive salt" for infrequent water changes. For me, the cost difference does not equate to any additional benefit. However, I am a big fan of Tropic Marin and when I could get it near wholesale as +1 orders for a LFS, I would use it frequently. I also mix water about once per month, so amped salts, (Coral Pro, Reef Crystals) falls out of solution.

I now have about 600g worth of salt inbound.

Even if you prefer to buy via a LFS, talk to them because I bet their suppliers are running a salt sale and see if you can nab a +1 add-on order for a lot of salt. They normally have minimum orders/price brakes that ordering a pallet of salt make make sense.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire