mardi 15 août 2017

New 65G Reef Tank (A newbie's build thread)

Hey everyone! I recently decided that I wanted to get back into fishkeeping after a LONG hiatus. In college, I kept a Lake Malawi 55G cichlid tank until I moved out to CA in 2004. I've been fishless since then, but I'm getting back in the game!

I bought a 65G tank with the intention of setting up a reef tank. Since then, I've done a lot of reading and gathering opinions. I've read the majority of the "Reefkeeping Made Easy" thread, which has helped a ton.

So, let me start with what I currently have, and then go into what I'm thinking about getting (equipment wise), and finally, what I think I'd like to live in my tank.

First of all, here's the tank: imgur.com/GFdzbYa

Current Equipment List:
65G tank and stand
Refractometer
Aquatic Life Twist-In 4-Stage RODI

Intended Equipment:
HOB Skimmer (recommendations?)
Lighting (Fluval Marine and Reef 2.0 LED, 36")
Heater (recommendations?)
Powerheads (qty? recommendations?)
Glass top

Livestock:
My dream fish is a flame angel. I'd really like to make that happen. Other than that, I would also love a few clown fish, and eventually an anemone. I'm very interested in attempting to grow stony corals. I'd love a coral banded shrimp, and I'm intrigued by emerald crabs. I've also looked at and am interested in Green Chromis, 6-line wrasse, and perhaps a goby (I love the look of the orange stripe prawn goby).

Finally, I know that I will need a large amount of porous rock, whether it's dry or live. While I have seen and believe in the benefits of a BB tank, I really like the look of sand, and would like to maintain a shallow sand bed (that will of course be siphoned weekly of detritus).

I think that's it for now! I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I'm definitely in need of equipment recommendations, so please chime in. I'm looking forward to being involved in this community!

Thanks!

TK


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire